Ghost of Tsushima
Animation SFX Tagging - Ghost of Tsushima
Wwise + Ghost of Tsushima - Tye Hastings
Cutscene SFX Tagging - Ghost of Tsushima
All videos are captured in-game and in-editor. All sfx tagging is my work while the sound design is not.
I was hired to take care of the backlog of animations and cutscenes that Ghost needed to complete before shipping. We used a proprietary game engine and Wwise. The foley system for Ghost was quite powerful and allowed me to reuse the same event names across all characters, due to the switch system in Wwise and a .json file with corresponding name routing. I primarily tagged sfx for NPC animations and cutscenes. From movement foley, footsteps, exerts, and weapon swings, I used the proprietary tagging tool to scrub through anims and place Wwise events. Then I would test in-game to ensure proper feel and volume. I would also adjust misaligned sfx and call-out incorrect feeling sfx already in the game.
Cutscenes were slightly more complex as I had to adjust the pan and volume elements of the mix as well as place the tags. Animals also presented different tagging requirements, as the sound emitter could come from the hooves, bridle, or head for the horse, for example, and the joint had to be selected when placed.
During the later part of my employment I worked on playtesting and writing up audio bugs I would find. Around this time I also jumped to working on Legends, the free multiplayer portion of Ghost. I worked with the level editor to place music state changes for multiple levels in Legends. I tested these and maintained that the priority levels of the states would resolve appropriately between all the states. We playtested together a lot during the Legends work as multiple players needed to be present for different situations and bugs.
I attended weekly standups with the main team and the offsite audio members, learning how all the pieces connected and worked together. I frequently communicated with the cinematic and animation teams to get the proper playback of audio. We used Jira for bugs and Perforce for source control. I also worked within Maya to add missing event keys to footsteps, as the game engine took care of those outside of the sfx tag tool.